A new survey of corporate chief legal officers by Altman Weil offers considerable food for thought – and marketing. Highlights, on a 0 to 10 (median) scale:
- Social media isn’t on their radar – a 0 rating. How much time are your people spending on it?
- Demonstrated understanding of their industry is critical – the top (9) score.
- Referrals (8), personal contact (6) and demonstrated expertise(6) are still king.
- Free seminars & training for the company’s legal department (3) are useful but not deciding factors.
- “Branding” as full service (4) and participation in industry events (2) helpful but again not deciding
- Websites, brochures & advertising surprisingly low (2) on the list
- Direct mail & e-mail communications about the firm (2)
- But the biggest surprise is the ranking of social media (0) and invitations to sporting and social events and dinners – (0).
So what are you doing right & wrong? Before you decide, look for my next post, which will attempt to deconstruct the survey and address the many unanswered questions of this surprisingly simplistic survey.